Brody Hall Expansion/Renovation
Construction Management (CM)
Michigan State University
LEED Silver Certified
East Lansing, MI
Brody Hall is recognized as the largest non-military dining facility in the world. Brody serves 2,400 students from 6 surrounding residence halls located within the Brody Complex.
Scope of work involved complete renovation of the 140,000 sq.ft., circa 1955 building, including demolition and replacement of all MEP systems; complete demolition and replacement of the exterior curtain wall systems; ADA code required modifications; elevator installation; asbestos. Other aspects include:
- Complete renovation of the 70,000 sq.ft. second floor dining area from traditional cafeteria style to a “marketplace” concept with 9 food service venues and back-of-house kitchen and dish handling area; seating for approximately 950 people.
- New, first floor Convenience Store and adjoining cafe.
- Constructed a 12,000 sq.ft temporary kitchen on the first floor which served over 4,000 meals per day while the new 2nd floor food service areas were being constructed.
- $3.6 million in food service equipment consisting of more than 800 food service items, 17 ventilation hoods and 14 walk-in coolers/freezers.
- Construction of a 15,000 sq.ft atrium lobby addition to provide student gathering areas.
- Renovation of the first floor to provide administrative offices, student project areas, classrooms and computer labs
- Rain water harvesting system which serves community toilet rooms
- New 15,000 sq.ft addition and new mechanical penthouse to serve updated infrastructure.