U of M South Quad Renovations
Construction Management (CM)
University of Michigan
Smith Group JJR
Ann Arbor, MI
South Quad was originally constructed in 1951 as a Men’s Dormitory for the University of Michigan. It is a mainly a concrete structure with some steel framing. The central lower levels house the existing kitchen and support spaces as well as the Dining area on the first floor. The east and west wings are residential, as is the center portion of the building above the first floor.
The major focus of the renovations to the 110,000 sq.ft. South Quad was the central dining renovations to the Ground and First Floors. The renovations created a new dining hub for central campus as the primary dining location for residents of South Quad, West Quad and Barbour and Newberry. The physical layout of the crossing, entry design and internal circulation route to dining were important to the success of this renovated facility.
The second primary goal was renovation of existing residence community toilet rooms, including showers shall be completely demolished to allow for new fixtures. New community toilet/shower rooms were designed to fit the students’ needs and are ADA compliant. This project includes a new cast-in-place, below grade loading dock with shoring adjacent to a residential area.
A new chiller plant was provided as part of this project. The Chillers will serve the renovated spaces of South Quad, West Quad, and the current air conditioned areas of the Union.